Dec. 22, 2018
Baumert and Handsome Complete a Clean Sweep at Global Dressage Festival
Photos by Susan J. Stickle
Wellington, FL — March 18, 2018 — The sixth annual Florida International Youth Dressage Championships (FIYDC) were the highlight of competition on the final day of week 10, Sunday, March 18, of the Adequan® Global Dressage Festival (AGDF) at the Palm Beach International Equestrian Center (PBIEC) in Wellington, Florida.
The 2018 Florida International Youth Dressage Championships — presented by Terri Kane, Hampton Green Farm, Sarah Davis, USEF Owners’ Dressage Task Force and Dressage 4Kids — took place alongside senior competition in week 10 at the AGDF. It featured competition for riders in the Under-25, Young Rider, Junior, Children and Pony divisions, offering them a chance to compete on the big stage and showcase their talent at one of the world’s largest and most high-profile dressage competitions.
There were five youth division winners, with 16-year-old Natalia Bacariza from Spain winning the overall trophy for the highest average score. She beat six other Junior riders, winning all three classes with over 71% on the Yeguada De Ymas’s 11-year-old Don Crusador gelding, Dhannie Ymas — former ride of her trainer Juan Matute Guimon and his kür gold medal-winning 2015 Junior European Championships partner.
It was another win for Spain in the Under-25 division, with Rodrigo Encinas Fuentes and Van The Man leading the field of 10 entrants. The horse is owned by Cesar Parra, who rode the now 16-year-old gelding by Obelisk at grand prix at AGDF in 2013, 2014 and 2015 before handing the reins over to his young pupil.
Fuentes won only one of the three young rider tests, with Natalie Pai (USA) winning the other two on Unlimited, but his average score of 68.094% edged out Pai’s 67.746%.
It was Canada’s Beatrice Boucher who came out on top of the 17 competitors in the Young Rider division. Riding Gilles Bergeron’s 15-year-old Del Piero gelding Delfiano, she averaged 69.415% across the three tests.
The youngest division winner came in the form of 13-year-old Tori Belles from Pennsylvania riding PJ Rizvi’s pony Prince Z to an average score of 67.498%.
The final winner was another to hail from Canada. Lily-Rose Lemaire, 14, rode the former broodmare World Lady, 18, to the Children’s title.
Jennifer Baumert made it three wins from three starts on Handsome in week 10. Baumert posted 75.2% on Elizabeth ‘Betsy’ Juliano’s 13-year-old Hochadel gelding, with fellow American Jodie Kelly-Baxley on Caymus, by Sir Sinclair, slotting in to second (74.175%) and Canada’s Brittany Fraser filling third with Jill Irving’s Sir Donnerhall gelding, Soccer City (72.875%).
Baumert, who was competing Handsome at the AGDF for the second successive year, usually returns to her Ohio base in April, but is staying on in Wellington this year.
This concludes action in week 10 of the 2018 AGDF, which was the largest dressage show ever held outside Western Europe. The circuit hosted its final week of competition on March 28-31, and includes the Stillpoint Farm FEI Nations Cup team event. For more information and results, visit www.globaldressagefestival.com.
Place, rider, nationality, horse, horse information: judge H%, judge C%, judge B%, total
FEI Intermediate I Freestyle CDI3*, presented by CaptiveOne Advisors
Judges: H, Clive Halsall (GBR); C, Sunil Shivdas (IND); B, Janet Foy (USA)
- Jennifer Baumert (USA) on Handsome, Elizabeth Juliano’s 13yo Hanoverian gelding by Hochadel x Weltmeyer: 73.875, 74.6, 77.125, 75.2%.
- Jodie Kelly-Baxley (USA) on Caymus, Beth Godwin’s 11yo KWPN gelding by Sir Sinclair x Contango: 72.25, 75.775, 74.5, 74.175%.
- Brittany Fraser on Soccer City, Jill Irving’s 11yo Hanoverian gelding by Sir Donnerhall x Weltmeyer: 72.625, 74, 72, 72.875%.
- Pablo Gomez Molina (ESP) on Fürst Fiorano Ymas, Yeguada de Mas SL’s 11yo Westfalian gelding by Fürst Piccolo x Donnerbube I: 73.25, 71.775, 72.75, 72.592%.
- Nora Batchelder (USA) on Faro SQF, her own 10yo Hanoverian gelding by Fidertanz x Rotspon: 70.25, 74.875, 69.5, 71.542%.
- Anna Marek (USA) on Einstein JP, her own KWPN gelding by Democraat x Contango: 70.75, 71.175, 70.625, 70.85%.
- Lori Bell (CAN) on Flirt, her own 10yo Oldenburg gelding by Florencio x Donnerhall: 71.5, 69.375, 69.375, 70.083%.
- Tom Dvorak (CAN) on Cyrus, Carla Bahr’s 9yo Oldenburg gelding by Contucci x Corthena: 67.75, 69.825, 70.625, 69.4%.
Go Back »